You've already got a great set of technologies under your belt.  That's a
good start.  I've taken the FT course already, and I strongly advise taking
it if you're serious about ColdFusion as a career.  A fair amount of what
the course covers is stuff that you've already done throughout the book (I
went the same route that you did...doing Forta's book first, then FT.  What
I found about the class is that it cemented my CF knowledge...kind of filled
in the holes.  I'm now working as a CF developer for an internet startup,
and loving every minute of it.  I'll be taking the Adv. CF class in the next
couple of months (this month, if I can manage it).  Fact is, training is
always a good thing, and if you're just starting out, being able to show
that you're a self-starter by explaining what you're teaching yourself, as
well as showing that you're investing in your own skills by paying for the
courses, and that you've been trained by authorized trainers, a lot of
employers will give your resume a second look in a pile of people with the
same or more experience.

I'd also suggest trying to go to the Allaire CF Developer's Conference later
this year.  It's a GREAT place to rub elbows with potential employers, as
well as learn a LOT of things you won't find in books.  Check out the
Allaire website for more details.

The other thing is to find the CFUG (ColdFusion Users Group) in your area.
Another great place to find people who represent companies hiring CF
developers.  Some of these companies will hire with part of the offer being
sending you for more CF training.

Good luck...

-Kev