You just said the magic words!

"niche market"

Here's the problem. Most people assume (as did I a long time ago) that porting to new
platforms and operating systems was a simple matter of recompiling the binaries, and
BAM! "You've got Software".

However, as this was the way I thought a few years back, I have since had my eyes
opened.

Generally, when we evaluate a new operating system, or distribution, we have to say:

1: How many people are going to buy said product for that platform.