I can't confirm nor refute Jesse's numbers or logic.

However, I think there additional considerations.

I would think that one of MM's goals is to have CF be the most
widely-accepted Web Application Server regardless of  hardware --
comparative versions of CF Cost about the same regardless of platform.

I am not claiming that OS X has enough potential to be a major player in
the Web Application Server market -- what I am saying is that it should
be a player, a profitable player!

Consider this:

        There are lots of web developers out there (myself included) that
use Macs.

        Many develop applications that are hosted by outside services.

        Those who develop in CF develop apps that will be run on CF servers
on some platform.

        Point 1 -- These Mac developers contribute to CF sales

        Many Mac developers do *not* write Web programs for CF because they
cannot run CF on a
        local machine -- they are more productive in Java, PHP, Perl, whatever.

        Point 2 -- These Mac developers are contributing to the sales of
MM's competitors

        The port of the Developer system to Mac OS X alleviates this
problem to some extent --
        Likely, independent contractors like myself will jump at the chance
to run CF locally. This
        should increase their productivity and they should be able to
deploy more apps to supported
        CF platforms.

        Point 3 - Availability of an unsupported developer system on OSX
will likely make a
        contribution to CF sales and detract from competitive sales

        The fact that the port is unsupported means that it takes a lot of
cajoling, wheedling (not bribes),
        and time (especially time) to get problems fixed, or even addressed.

        Likely, there will not be mass acceptance of CF as a development
platform, by Mac users, until
        there is a supported developer platform -- CF running locally, not
just DWMX*

        * It's ironic that DWMX on the Mac contributes to the sales of CF
competitors -- Mac users can
          develop in competitive languages that *do* run on the Mac, while
CF does not.

        Point 4 - Lack of a supported CF Mac developer platform will likely
detract from CF sales and
        contribute to competitor sales.

        Those who have used CFMX on Mac OS X (I know most of them) think
that is a sweet system --
        superior to the other available options.  I can't make this
statement, because I have never
        developed on a Win, Solaris or Linux box.

         I can give this opinion:  CFMX ON Mac OSX is the *Best* Web
Application development system,
        running on the *Best* Operating system running on the *Best*
Personal Computer.

        Many will agree with me.

        Some simple test results, a few discussed in recent threads, show
that that Mac platform performs
        quite well, and is price-competitive, if not superior.

        Point 5 -- Likely MM is missing an opportunity to proselytize Mac
developers to CF, to their
        detriment and to the advantage of their competitors.

        If MM were to offer a supported Developer version of CF on Mac OS
X, it would likely be the
         easiest, and fastest to install.  Mac OS X already includes (has
installed), Java and Apache Web
         Server.  These are not necessarily installed on the CF supported
platforms.  A good part of every
        CF install (and many of the problems during beta) involve
installation of Java, a Web Server, and
        integrating these things with the CFMX/JRun systems.

        Mac OS X has a proven, well-defined, automatic process that
maintains and applies software
        updates -- this include everything from updates to the underlying
OS to 3rd-party application
        programs such as Microsoft IE.

        I suspect a CFMX product on Mac OS X would cost MM less to support
and maintain, than on
        other platforms -- there is just a lot less code and a lot less
integration -- a complete, stable,
        predictable platform.

        Point 6 -- Costs of supporting CF on  the Mac OS X platform would
likely be less than other
        platforms.  This means different numbers would be plugged into the
ROI calculation.

        If MM offers a Developer version of CFMX on Mac OS X, they will
likely find an eager  audience of
        potential *new users*  of CF.

        Apple will likely promote the availability of CFMX Developer on
Mac  OS X.  MM could defray
        much of the marketing costs -- others will gladly do it for you.

        This might be a simple, inexpensive way of "sticking your toes in
the water" to measure
        acceptance and potential without incurring a lot of costs.

        Point 7 -- Costs of marketing CF on  the Mac OS X platform would
likely be less than other
        platforms.  This means different numbers would be plugged into the
ROI calculation.

        Given, a supported CFMX Developer version for Mac OS X, there would
likely be much pressure
        to release a supported CFMX production version(s) --- and the
problem with this is???

        These sales would be *New Business" full price sales, not upgrades
from prior sales.

        Again, emergence of this "Full"  product would realize the same (if
not more) benefits of the
        Developer product on Mac OS X -- lower maintenance and support
costs; lower marketing
        costs; a potential customer set that is willing and able to buy;
likely heavy promotion by Apple;
        the *buzz* of the industry in all the trade pubs;  a plethora of
new books, articles, training,
        certification and other services.

        Point 8 -- Likely MM should evaluate CFMX on Mac OS X as they would
any new product in
        a new market.  There is a potential here, to create, and dominate a
very profitable market.
        Sometimes you have to not go by the procedures, take the risks,  do
the best justification
        you can -- and then take action

        If Jeremy Allaire, hadn't done so, we would all be doing different
things.

Well, Martin Luther stopped at 10, so I better stop at 8

Dick

Many of them do not use CF because they cannot develop on a local machine