> Good points, but they are still not sturdy enough for
> hi-end client or any type of server environment.....
> I know you are a Mac-man and indeed will push it much
> like a Microsoftian :-p but in this case you can go on
> and on about it, and it will still always come down to
> the fact that they wont be as good as Windoze (or others)
> for development or serving..

That's a very silly statement. I'm not a "Mac-man" myself, and I generally
agree with Macromedia's decision not to expend resources getting CF MX
working on OS X, but I don't see why OS X machines aren't good enough for
development or serving. They're certainly far better, in general, for both
than Windows 95/98/ME - OSs that could run various versions of CF. The
"fact" that they're not as good as Windows is simply that MM doesn't provide
the software for that platform - if that changed overnight, they'd be just
as good for CF development.

The problem with OS X isn't functionality or robustness, but rather just
lateness-to-market. I think that if CF MX did, in fact, run fully on OS X,
that OS X would be just as good a platform for either CF development or
service as Windows, and a much better development platform than other
Unices. If I were starting a generic development shop from scratch (with no
existing Windows-dependent infrastructure), I'd seriously consider getting
Macs for both the developers and support staff.

As for the floppy drive thing, you can certainly get one for your Mac if you
like. I use floppy drives quite a bit, but I think that they're really not
necessary or useful for most people.

Finally, this thread is getting pretty off-topic, I think. Dick wants to
push MM to provide a developers' version of CF MX, that's one thing.
Debating the general merits of Macs vs PCs is another. Of course, now that
I've contributed to this thread, I'm as blameworthy as the rest of you, I
guess.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496