I worked on a small e-commerce app for a little deli/coffee shop, called the
Mountain Lakes Market.  My boss decided that we would use the base product,
re-vamp and sell it as a service.  I left the company right after version
1.0 came out, and I'm glad I did, even though they are still going.  The
product is called Geomerx (http://www.geomerx.com), and they've had many
revisions since I left to do my own thing with a guy I met there.  That was
three years ago.

I agree with Matt, although I had no choice but to work at both until we got
a solid client base.  I worked at least 80 hours a week for 2 months
straight at that full-time job and on side projects before I gave my
resignation, and I was lucky because after I resigned they hired me back as
a consultant for 3 times what I was making hourly before.  Sometimes you
have no choice if you don't have enough clientele to strike out on your own,
so you have to do both until you can get off the ground.  It all comes down
what you are willing to do to get there, and most people have to sacrifice a
lot of time and energy to do that.  My early career consisted of being a
retail manager, where I worked longer hours than I do now and got paid a
heck of a lot less.

Andy