On Monday, Sep 30, 2002, at 01:32 US/Pacific, Robertson-Ravo, Neil
(REC) wrote:
> I totally disagree.. getting it 'connected' is the easy part.  The
> actual
> movement and animation (for which Flash is designed) is the difficult
> part.

Flash MX is designed to allow complex client-server applications to be
built. Yes, in the early days, Flash was mostly an animation tool but
that, IMO, is the 2% of Flash functionality that has actually bogged
the product down in terms of market perception, viz "Skip Intro".

> Flash is one of those progs which you need to be [a] a good designer
> [b] a
> good animator.  If you are neither then stay clear of Flash or you
> will just
> be producing the same old crap.

I think the new Flash UI Components change that equation quite a bit.

> I think a proper 'Spectrum of Participants' :-) is required for these
> Rich
> Client movies as one single CF developer aint gonna blow things out of
> the
> water with poor Flash skills and a little DB connectivity.

I agree that building a Rich Internet Application requires a broad
range of skills and I agree that - at present - it's hard to find all
those skills in one person.

> Flash is an animation/loose design tool

Flash MX is a *lot* more than that!

> Though I would love to see someones reaction to this course who is a
> complete novice to Flash scripting etc..

Like me? Up until Flash MX came out, I couldn't get Flash to do
*anything*... I thought it was a dreadful complex product and I was
very frustrated that I couldn't even create a simple button that did
interesting things when you clicked it. Now, with the UI components and
the improved scripting, I can actually build useful applications with
it. As a complete novice, I find the course to be paced 'just right'...

An Architect's View -- http://www.corfield.org/blog/

Macromedia DevCon 2002, October 27-30, Orlando, Florida
Architecting a New Internet Experience
Register today at http://www.macromedia.com/go/devcon2002