Hi Howie
If by "simultaneous transactions" you truly mean concurrent hits, then 2000
is a pretty big number. If you mean "concurrent users" then things relax
quite a bit, since a user is making requests (page hits) at a pretty slow
rate.  I suggest making a quick model in Excel to play around with the
relationships between total users/day (assume an 8 hour day, for example, to
model only the peak hours), # hits/user, avg processing time per hit (if a
hit takes 5 seconds to run, then even just one hit per second gives you 5
concurrent hits), etc.  This might give you a feeling for actual current
hits and you still get to have the number "2000" on your spreadsheet so you
and your client can point to it (in the event that the client meant "users"
and not "hits", and has to be shown why your calc says there are only 10
hits per second, for example). This kind of model will also give you a way
to do your own sensitivity analysis, where you change one assumption (like
avg sec/hit) and see how sensitive your load is to that parameter... You'd
hate to assume 2 sec/hit in your model and declare yourself safe only to
find that with 3 sec/hit your dead.

As far as clustering goes, I would try to get a very beefy machine first
(you didn't specify hardware, and that is obviously *very* important).  For
a serious no-down-time app you might consider a two-server cluster even if
you only need one box to handle the load. Clustering can really complicate
things though, so be sure you need it.

>From the information you included so far I don't think you're going to get a
solid answer (accept maybe a "No, that's too much" safe/defensive answer).

        Mark