Howie,
I had to deal with a similar issue when I was helping the client through a
Software buy and modification.  As others have commented, it is so dependent
on how the code is write, the SQL server, the hardware configuration, how
much redundancy is built in, what recovery procedures to you have, etc.  It
was relatively easy with the package.  We visited Sun, created a simulated
environment, then stressed the heck out of it an monitor all of the break
points.  Tuned, then repeated.

Then the development.  Really can't know until the app is constructed.  How
we ended up framing the responses to the client from the software packages
was:

1. Scalability:  How we would decide when to add additional servers and the
cost of adding those servers, both in hardware and software and support
personal.

2.  Backup:  What where the requirements for restart and recovery?  How fast
versus cost - we got the client to loosing up here after explaining the cost
of failure

3.  Functionality/Scope:  We had significant scope creep that impacted the
hardware sizing efforts.  While we were able to explain our way out, we
should have been so much more specific to start with

Whatever you estimate for hardware, double it! ;-).  The clients will do so
on their scope and beat you up on the additional hardware cost (but I
thought you said is was scalable!).  Also, if this a ground up development,
the hardware/system software will be a relatively small piece of the pie.
But at the end of the day, if you don't have the responsiveness you need,
cause you significant headaches.

In summary, unless this is an existing package, I don't know how you can
state specifics before functionality is fully designed and the code written.
Overall, this becomes a requirement that is stress tested against during
system testing.

Good luck.

Andy