Basically, there are two ways to do this (as I'm sure you've gathered from
the rest of the thread).

One:
A single template generates the HTML in a variable, probably by using
<cfsavecontent> tags, and uses <cffile> to save that information to a static
HTML file.

Two:
You first create the template as if you were calling it from a browser.
That is, it's just a plain old CF page that creates whatever content you
want.  A second CF template uses <cfhttp> to call that first template and
save the content to a static HTML file.

I like the second one a bit better, although the first is what I've been
doing up to now.  Neither is particularly complicated.

If you try one of these and can't get it to work, feel free to contact me
off-list for more assistance.  Unless, of course, people want to hear more
about this.  :-)

--  Ben Doom
    Programmer & General Lackey
    Moonbow Software, Inc