> > Let's get Jakob Nielsen to end this
> >

> That'd be a waste of time and money...  daft old codger!!
>
> I wouldn't listen to too much that he says these days - the
> guy is still stuck in his ways from the early 90's when what
> he had to say was true and perfectly acceptable for the state
> of the network and peoples use and abuse of what little
> bandwidth, hardware and software was available.

Probably because what was true then is still true now.

> Some of what he says still holds true, but the guy hasn't
> move forward at all.  He only recently grudgingly accepted
> that Flash was useful and good in site design when applied
> appropriately!

Because only recently has Flash risen itself to the challenge of
usability.  Before that there was NO usability/accessibility features in
Flash whatsoever.

> Its been a while, but the last time I looked at one of his
> site, I was truely appalled at how badly designed and
> implemented the site was.

In what ways?  I know a lot of folks that say "it doesn't look good" but
very rarely do they have any usability comments.  And that's the point:
it wasn't designed to look good but to work well.  Look at
www.edwardtufte.com for the same kind of thing (another genius).

(That being said I personally DO have some usability complaints about
useit.com... Particularly in the "Search" area.)

Until somebody else actually starts doing the research required to back
up some of the statements implied here ("Flash is ready for prime time",
"the state of the network has changed", etc) then don't shoot the
messengers.

Neilson (and Norman) don't just "make this stuff up" and sit in the
past: they are actively and continuously researching the curent states
of affairs.  In general they offer some of the best information you'll
find.

Don't get m wrong... I'm not Jakob's bitch, I do disagree with a lot of
the things he says, but overall there's nobody else putting forth the
effort and the sweat to get people to understand the need for usability.

Jim Davis