From: "samcfug" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "CF-Talk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2003 11:58 AM
Subject: Re: OT Domain registration

The problem with GoDaddy is that they charge $20. per year extra to use
their
name servers.  I do not need domain names masked.

I have several clients with Registerfly, and the problem with them is that
every
90 days or so, their DNS servers get corrupted (maybe from Phreakers) and
mission critical sites are typically offline and without mail until They can
get
them fixed up and propagated again.  They are the ones asking me to search
out a
more reliable registrar.  Network Solutions are in themselves spammers, and
also
sell their address lists to other spammers.  I use Register.com myself for
my
own domains, but these clients do not wish to pay their prices although I
consider them as the easiest to use and most reliable of all.

I do not want to run my own name servers, because they are all on the same
network, and DNS is much more reliable with dispersed name servers.  I do
use
DNS caching, however,

As for filling in fake information for the WHOIS, There are rules currently
in
effect that if you cannot be reliably contacted through WHOIS, then upon
complaint, your registration can be revoked.  There is a rising groundswell
of
anti-spammer activists that are searching out and filing complaints with
ICANN.
More info can be found at http://www.dshield.org.  As for spam harvested
from
WHOIS databases, I use a filtering server running Postfix on Linux that
effectively blocks all that spam.  Anyone with a domain name can subscribe
this filtering server which then sends your email on to you after filtering
for
open proxy, open relay, spamcop.bl, and virus scanning.  It even blocks the
Nigerian scam mail.  This way you are assured of getting clean email to your
server, and there is no delay in delivery.  File attachments that are not
virus
infected are permitted.

Douglas White
group Manager