From: samcfug [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2003 8:59 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: OT Domain registration

The problem with GoDaddy is that they charge $20. per year extra to use
their
name servers.  I do not need domain names masked.

I have several clients with Registerfly, and the problem with them is
that every
90 days or so, their DNS servers get corrupted (maybe from Phreakers)
and
mission critical sites are typically offline and without mail until They
can get
them fixed up and propagated again.  They are the ones asking me to
search out a
more reliable registrar.  Network Solutions are in themselves spammers,
and also
sell their address lists to other spammers.  I use Register.com myself
for my
own domains, but these clients do not wish to pay their prices although
consider them as the easiest to use and most reliable of all.

I do not want to run my own name servers, because they are all on the
same
network, and DNS is much more reliable with dispersed name servers.  I
do use
DNS caching, however,

As for filling in fake information for the WHOIS, There are rules
currently in
effect that if you cannot be reliably contacted through WHOIS, then upon
complaint, your registration can be revoked.  There is a rising
groundswell of
anti-spammer activists that are searching out and filing complaints with
ICANN.
More info can be found at http://www.dshield.org.  As for spam harvested
from
WHOIS databases, I use a filtering server running Postfix on Linux that
effectively blocks all that spam.  Anyone with a domain name can
subscribe to
this filtering server which then sends your email on to you after
filtering for
open proxy, open relay, spamcop.bl, and virus scanning.  It even blocks
the
Nigerian scam mail.  This way you are assured of getting clean email to
your
server, and there is no delay in delivery.  File attachments that are
not virus
infected are permitted.

Douglas White
group Manager