Paul Hastings wrote:
> i come from a rather bandwidth poor part of the world & was prepared for
> p*ss-poor performance. i was surprised at how well bandwidth was used, even
> the slower portions didn't seem that slow. very well done.

I just ran some totally unscientific tests on the Macromedia site.
Duron 800, IE 6, NT 4, Flash 6.0.79.0
100 Mbps
3 time average

Initial load is 278523 bytes
Initial load is 52 request (8 or 9 cached).
Initial load time is 11 seconds.
ICMP RTT = 150 ms.

There were never more as 2 HTTP connections open to the site, so that
means 22 requests per connection. With a round trip time of 150 ms, I
think this translates directly to 3.3 seconds (in reality you need to
add for TCP SYN/ACK).
10 or more requests take more as half a second, of which 2 take more as
1 second (including the initial request for "/" which is probably due to
the syn/ack).

On subsequent requests, the number of requests goes down to about 30,
the cache hit ratio goes up to over 50% and pages load in an acceptable
time (and use as less as 30 KB for each page).

The only problem is with the "Downloads" page. Times are totally
inconsistent and on average much longer as the rest of the site. And the
downloads page is the page I used for previous benchmarks :-(

Overall, bandwidth use is not excessive (at least for my standards), but
the speed is not good either. Part of that appears to be due to the high
number of requests, part of that is that some requests take long on the
server, and part of that is probably that a Duron 800 is apparently not
fast enough anymore.

Jochem