> Well I think I have no choice but to give up. I have been
> trying to get someone to help with my problem for 3 and a
> half hours now, and its after 5am Saturday. I still have a
> partial installation of CFMX. It doesn't work and nor does
> my previous CF5.0. What began at 9pm last night as what I
> thought would be a 20-30 minute job before stopping work
> has turned into an 8 hour nightmare with no sign of any
> solution.

Did you try running those batch files, per my previous suggestion? If so,
what happened?

> The problem is this: I was stupid enough to believe the
> Macromedia docs when they said CFMX could coexist on a
> winXPPRO system with CF5.0. When it proved that it would
> work but only if you measure response times with a calendar,
> I decided to bite the bullet and go for CFMX on my Dev
> server rather than both servers. I removed the CFMX, and
> reinstalled it according to the installation instructions
> on the Macromedia site. Out of 11 steps, it got to step 7
> and won't go further. NO one has seemed to grasp this notion
> so far.

No, you weren't stupid for believing the docs. They're correct, in fact.
However, you have to be pretty careful if you want them to coexist, and it's
easy enough to break either or both if you're not.

I'm not familiar with these eleven steps, or the seventh step specifically;
could you provide a bit more detail?

> I think I am going to have to tear down all my CF server
> stuff, and rebuild CF5.0 from scratch, then probably have
> to redo all my DSNs too because last time I installed CF
> it broke all the DSN settings. It'll do it again probably.
> Somehow I'll have to figure out which Macromedia registry
> keys are for Fireworks, which for DWMX, which for FlashMX
> so I can leave those there, and which are for CFMX and
> which for CF5.0.

There aren't any registry keys for CFMX. The ones for CF 5 are mostly under
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Allaire\ColdFusion, although there are some odds and ends
under the Macromedia key also (they're not particularly important or
useful).

> I just apologise for having such a boring problem that
> no one wants to bother with it any more. I tried to
> look in House of Fusion's archives for IIs or CFMX but
> you get fifty gazillion entries.

It's not that your problem is boring, but rather that it's relatively
complicated and detailed. It's much easier to answer code questions,
generally. Figuring out install or permissions problems is a bit like trying
to diagnose a problem with a car over the phone.

> Does anyone have any idea how I can recover all the
> settings I had in my CF5 now that the installation has
> partially wrecked it?

They're all in the registry, under the above-mentioned key. You can back up
some or all of the key to a text file, and reimport some or all of it later.
However, I doubt that your CF 5 install is in as bad a state as you might
think - my guess is that it's simply been disconnected from the web server,
and if you properly configure the web server again, it'll work. This would
mean removing any CFMX configuration settings from your web server, then
manually mapping the extension .cfm to \CFusion\BIN\ISCF.DLL.

> This list is becoming very clique-plagued. Unless you're
> one of the inner circle on this list, its difficult to
> get a question answered. I'm sorry about that because
> it has been a wonderful resource over the last 3 years
> as I learned about ColdFusion.

I'm sorry that you feel this way. I don't really think it's an accurate
statement. I do think that people tend to answer some questions before
others, and install questions again are typically a bit more difficult.

> Now it's next-to-useless because it's all about CFMX, I
> don't have CFMX, and it seems no one will help me GET
> CFMX either.

If you'd like, contact me offlist, and I'll see if I can help you out.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496
fax: (202) 797-5444