> > > This list is becoming very clique-plagued. Unless you're
> > > one of the inner circle on this list, its difficult to
> > > get a question answered. I'm sorry about that because
> > > it has been a wonderful resource over the last 3 years
> > > as I learned about ColdFusion.
> >
> > I'm sorry that you feel this way. I don't really think
> > it's an accurate statement. I do think that people tend
> > to answer some questions before others, and install
> > questions again are typically a bit more difficult.
>
> IMHO he made a very accurate statement. Those of you who are
> among the most frequent posters on the list are infected with
> an arrogance and rudeness that is beyond measure. Rarely do
> you have anything to offer beyond belittling the one asking
> for assistance. I would strongly recommend that if you do
> not have anything positive to offer a fellow user, then just
> delete the message and do not reply at all.

Well, for my own sake, as a frequent poster, I may be arrogant, but I don't
think I'm ever rude beyond measure, so I'll assume that you're not directing
your criticism at me. As far as that goes, you're a frequent poster on the
list, and you don't seem especially rude either. I can think of a bunch of
other frequent posters here, who I've never seen be rude or even arrogant. I
would agree with your recommendation, though, about not replying if you
don't have something positive or helpful.

But, in all honesty, I think this list is a lot more friendly than most I've
seen.

> As one with quite bit of experience in building installar
> packages with both WISE and InstallShield, it is a relative
> no-brainer to build your install script to detect the
> operating system, its current configuration, and then
> offer a number of options for installation and configuraton
> of your product. Software publishers do this quite often,
> as a matter of fact.

I agree that the CFMX installer could be better than it is. I don't know if
I'd go so far as to say that an install script for any server product would
ever be a no-brainer, though.

> Instead they focus on installing server products on single
> homed servers only, and make the configuration of a multi
> homed server (one that hosts more than one web site) an
> exercise in hacking.

Yes, I agree that the installer should expose this configuration option.
However, it's hardly an "exercise in hacking". It's an edit of one word in a
single text file.

> They encourage the admin to contact Tech Support, but
> require a credit card, even for free install support.
> This is a cheap shot, is unecessary, and is neglectful
> of your customers. As a result, MM has gained a reputaton
> of having a Tech Support department that sucks big time.

Really? They seem about average to me. Who would you point to as an example
of a good tech support department?

> Those of you who are Macromedia customers should also
> adopt a higher lever of respect for your fellow journeymen,
> and can the arrarogant, belittling, and insulting replies
> to those who are desperately seeking help with obviously
> broken software.

I would agree that we should all treat each other with more respect, on this
list and elsewhere. I don't agree that the software is "obviously broken" -
it's complex, and like any other complex product, some people will have
problems and run into trouble through no fault of their own.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496
fax: (202) 797-5444