I think you're right to be concerned. I remember when Apple did this with
their online iDisk accounts and Yahoo with their Geocities accounts. In all
these cases we can guess that the intent is that they just need to have the
right to copy and redistribute the material which is the purpose of the
DevEx. But the problems arise with the phrases "perpetual", "irrevocable",
and "modify". I'll leave "create derivative works" up to the jury here
though in my opinion it's pretty significant.

A basic tenet of copyright law is that the creator is granted automatic
copyright. The submission requirements you pointed out appear to do more
than just grant a limited right to copy to Macromedia for the purposes of
operating the DevEx. It appears that agreeing to them constitutes a complete
signing over of copyright ownership to Macromedia. That means they can call
it their own and resell it at a profit without recompensing you. They can
even integrate it into their own products without recompense.

The question is how much of that is the purpose of the DevEx? We all use it
to help our own projects, and MM shouldn't be any different. However, it
seems to me that MM is in a somewhat unique position by having the ability
to integrate submissions into products like Dreamweaver. Is there a
difference though between keeping the code and ownership intact and bundling
it or the alternative of taking the code concepts and creating a derivative
work they call their own and make a profit on?

The community persuaded Apple to change their policy. It's up to the
community to make Macromedia change theirs. I'm not a lawyer, but I suspect
a lawyer would tell you to run, not walk, away from the DevEx based on the
current terms.

-Kevin