Shouldn't this stuff be posted on macromedia 'list' at
houseoffusion.com?  I believe that's why that list exists...?  This isn't
code related (distribution of code, yes, code related, no).

Just curious,
~Todd

At 09:52 AM 3/10/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>I think you're right to be concerned. I remember when Apple did this with
>their online iDisk accounts and Yahoo with their Geocities accounts. In all
>these cases we can guess that the intent is that they just need to have the
>right to copy and redistribute the material which is the purpose of the
>DevEx. But the problems arise with the phrases "perpetual", "irrevocable",
>and "modify". I'll leave "create derivative works" up to the jury here
>though in my opinion it's pretty significant.
>
>A basic tenet of copyright law is that the creator is granted automatic
>copyright. The submission requirements you pointed out appear to do more
>than just grant a limited right to copy to Macromedia for the purposes of
>operating the DevEx. It appears that agreeing to them constitutes a complete
>signing over of copyright ownership to Macromedia. That means they can call
>it their own and resell it at a profit without recompensing you. They can
>even integrate it into their own products without recompense.
>
>The question is how much of that is the purpose of the DevEx? We all use it
>to help our own projects, and MM shouldn't be any different. However, it
>seems to me that MM is in a somewhat unique position by having the ability
>to integrate submissions into products like Dreamweaver. Is there a
>difference though between keeping the code and ownership intact and bundling
>it or the alternative of taking the code concepts and creating a derivative
>work they call their own and make a profit on?
>
>The community persuaded Apple to change their policy. It's up to the
>community to make Macromedia change theirs. I'm not a lawyer, but I suspect
>a lawyer would tell you to run, not walk, away from the DevEx based on the
>current terms.
>
>-Kevin

Todd Rafferty ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) - http://www.web-rat.com/
Team Macromedia Volunteer for ColdFusion
http://www.macromedia.com/support/forums/team_macromedia/
http://www.devmx.com/