Automatic locking. Previously you needed to write

<cflock timeout="1" throwontimeout="No" type="READONLY" scope="APPLICATION">
        [do something with app variables]
</cflock>

Many people got around this by simply copying the application scope into the
request scope in Application.cfm or thereabouts. Others simply wrote lots of
constants directly into the request scope on each page request (which isn't
nearly as slow as you might think).

With CFMX you don't need to lock access to scopes like application and
session.