Pretty sure. The docs:

While the ColdFusion Server is thread-safe and does not try to modify a
variable simultaneously, it does not ensure the correct order of access to
information. If multiple pages, or multiple invocations of a page, attempt
to write data simultaneously, or read and write it at the same time, the
resulting data can be inconsistent, as illustrated in the following Sample
locking scenarios section.

It doesn't say "thread-safe except if you try to access application and
server scopes".

Yes you still have to lock them. But CFMX does it automatically, so you
don't have to do it explicitly.