> Are you sure about this? It is my understanding that the
> session scope was protected automatically, but that the
> application (and server) scope still had to be locked.
> You can avoid having to do read locks with CFLOCK on a
> scope if you ensure that they are never written after
> initially set, and that every request ensures that they
> are set before proceeding, but you still have to lock
> them in one form or another.

This is no longer the case in CFMX, exactly. That is, the server won't crash
if you don't lock persistent memory variables, as it very well might with
previous versions. However, you may still have logical errors (incorrect
values, essentially) if you don't lock persistent memory variables, just as
you might have in a multi-user database without locking. This is true for
all persistent memory scopes in CFMX - Session, Application and Server.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496
fax: (202) 797-5444