I'm guessing that they actually mean "if your variables get hozed as a
result of not locking it's happening because of a race condition of your own
making". Rather than "data in the shared scopes may be randomly corrupted if
not locked". For instance -- if you have a frameset that loads 2 frames and
you need to set an application or session var before frame2 loads, but you
set it in the template loading in frame1 there's a chance it might not get
set until after frame2 loads and thereby frame2 would contain the wrong data
-- but not through any fault of the server. This is probably a poor example,
but at the moment it's the best I can do. :)