Data (as in the credit card numbers) will always be most secure if it's not
saved anywhere.  But that means that, every time a return customer wants to
place another order, she has to retype the credit card info.

A lot of online shops, including the big players like Amazon, don't actually
process your credit card on the website while you wait.  Notice how Amazon
sends you an email when you place the order and another one to let you know
that your order has been approved.  I don't have any inside info as to how
Amazon actually handles their data, but I wouldn't be surprised if the
*COMPLETE* credit card data is stored offsite and only summary info (last 4
digits of credit card number, expiration date) are stored onsite.  This
provides a significant amount of security while also allowing convenience.

Another thing that online shops are starting to do is to require that the
CVV2 code be entered for all transactions.  This is a 3-4 digit number that
is printed on your card and helps to authenticate the full credit card
number.  All of the shops using CVV2 that I've heard of require that you
enter it every time.  Again, a trade off in security and convenience.  This
is more secure than the above but actually requires that I have the credit
card on hand (or memorize the CVV2).

--
Mosh Teitelbaum
evoch, LLC