Hi Stan,

You guessed it:  I train the client to keep the private key in a text file on their
own desktop or someplace safe locally.

Let me back up a step:

First thing I do is build a cf template that generates public and private keys, and
shows those keys to the client via an ssl connection.

The template generates the keys and the client -- at their physical office location --
plants the public key into a form field that then stores it onto the server, also on
ssl.  They take the private key and copy it to a local text file.

When they come back the next day to their app they have to go to an 'input your key'
form (ssl again) where they paste in the private key.  I then take that value and
store it in a session cookie... NOT a regular cookie as that gets stored on the local
HD, and not a client variable since that gets stored on the server where it can be
harvested by a hacker from the client variable db(!).

Using a session cookie also has the secondary effect of killing the key when the
browser is closed, and keeping it clean off the server even after its instantiated.  I
could use session vars but my app doesn't use CF session mgmt to maintain state.

If the client is a basket case and I have to generate keys for them I mail the key to
them on a disk.

As you can guess none of this is convenient, but I tell the client this is the
tradeoff for true security, exhibition of due diligence and limitation of liability.
Explaining how doing this right helps keep them from losing a lawsuit always gets
their attention.

Cheers,

 Matt Robertson,     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 MSB Designs, Inc. http://mysecretbase.com