Rafael Alan Bleiweiss wrote:
> Yeah NS 7.1 is pretty good, however I just discovered a quirk last night
> regarding  CSS.
>
> I've got a major CSS file that sets padding, and a host of other elements
> in tables.  When I generated the page using the <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC
> "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Final//EN"> My main navigation table in NS 7.1 had a
> gap in it, not in IE though.
>
> I decided to do a "what the heck" and used
> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2 Final//EN">
> and there was no gap!

What is so strange about that? If you are using elements that are
in HTML 4 but not in 3.2, they will be ignored in 3.2 but
rendered in 4. That is intended behaviour.

Did you validate your HTML in both cases?
Why not write XHTML?

> The real question though is, now that AOL signed another multi-year
> agreement to use the IE engine in AOL <ACK cough - sputter> and laid off
> more NS staff, how long will it be before NS goes completely open source?

Never. Netscape is just as dead as standalone versions of IE. If
you want a browser that continues to evolve, look at Firebird or
Opera. If you want a communications suite that continues to
evolve, look at Mozilla.

Jochem

http://www.coolfusion.com