From: Ian Skinner [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 1:53 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Crossborwser support WAS: Simple html question

You bring up something that I have debated in my head many times.  How can
anybody bring about better browser compliance so that it is easier to make
good clean and accessible web pages.

I have been working on a project for the last 6 months, and I'm finding that
I'm having to fall back on age old tricks and kludges to get the pages to
work similar.  I'm still using tables for layout because I can't get
divisions to do what I need them to do.  Which is basically
multi-column/cell layout.  For example, I wanted something fairly simple
such as this.  I needed two divisions at the bottom of a larger division so
that I could have images with captions side by side.  I never did figure out
how to do this in such a way that it worked properly.

|            |
|____________|
||     |     |
||image|image|
||text |     |

I really like the idea of CSS and universally standard rendering of designs
so that I can make clean pages, but I'm not sure we're there yet.  In my
darkest hours, I wonder if we are even moving that direction!

Ian Skinner
Web Programmer
BloodSource
Sacramento, CA