Textpad (www.textpad.com) is also a great little editor.  It's got a great
little macro engine, which is very and can handle ENORMOUS files (couple
hundred MB of SQL dump, for example) with ease.  It supports syntax
highlighting (though via a vocabulary-based system, not context-based), and
creating your own syntax files is quite simple.

It's not an end-all tool, but I'd be less productive without it for sure.

Cheers,
barneyb