> Whether you use C++ or Java, there are ways to have a single code
> base that works across platforms, so why not do it?

Because it might be more work to do this? Because it might not be worth the
time on the part of the developer to spend this extra time?

> I truly believe the fastest growing segment of the Mac and Linux
> desktop market is with developers. And why not? The level of stress a
> developer puts on their desktop requires Unix underneath.

That's funny. I've been working with Windows for the last ten years, with
very little stress to my poor old computer. I've been using the same laptop
for the last four years or so, actually, just replacing the hard disk when
it failed. I rarely reinstall my operating system - again, only when I have
a hardware failure, or when a new version comes out that I want to use.

I suspect that many developers use Linux or OS X because they're different,
or may have a greater perceived "coolness" factor. I don't necessarily see
higher productivity from those developers, though.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
phone: 202-797-5496
fax: 202-797-5444