On Jul 17, 2004, at 11:17 AM, Matt Liotta wrote:

>  Have you looked at the numbers for how many developers are not using
>  Windows? The number is quite large and according to the research will
> be
>  passing 20% soon enough.

Matt

Can you point to a source for these numbers -- Intuitively, I think you
are correct, but have not been able to find any reliable stats.

According to Apple latest results, their biggest growth in computers
was in the laptop segment.

Apple claims that the Mac has more 'Nix desktops than any other
computer.

Anecdotally, I hear that a surprising number of Mac laptops turn up at
various developer gatherings ('Nix, Java, CF, etc) where a few years
ago there were few if any.

A number of developers have told me that they develop on a PC at work,
because that's what's provided.  But, the computer they buy for home
use and independent development is a Mac.

Mac hardware has always been cool.  That has not changed.  What has
changed is the OS.

It is a pretty complete developer system, with (most) everything
pre-installed (Java, Perl, Apache -- MySQL and PHP on OS X Server).

So, i suspect it is more than "coolness" that makes a Mac attractive to
developers.

I was going to say a lot more, but...

Dick