I haven't been clear... sorry, my bad!

To me, backward compatibility means a new version runs prior version
code just like the prior version -- not that the new version additions
will run on a prior version.

I meant that new version of CF could accept prior version syntax,
assumptions. etc, by enclosing the target code within tags that
specified that the compiler should treat the enclosed code as the
indicated prior version.

I did not mean that the prior version should recognize tags introduced
in later versions -- don't know how to do that, with what already
exists.

However, one of the things that has made HTML so flexible is that i
every version just ignores tags that it doesn't understand (treats them
as comments) -- Brilliant!

Dick