Hey Joe,

Thanks for your input.  Actually I figured something out using session variables and it works amazingly well. The performance of it also isn't too terrible since the most the script should ever recurse would be 5 or 6 times, if that.

I am, however, intrigued by your comment about having the database track its own hierarchy.  I tried creating new columns for generation and parent root but got stuck when I was trying to get the path for a 3rd generation crumb with several 2nd generation crumbs that shared the same root, if that makes any sense.  In other words, I could get the first and last breadcrumbs without problems but getting the second was a bit difficult without something to tell the system which second generation crumb to use.

The other option you suggested I did play around with but was never able to totally figure it out.  I'm assuming it's intended to be utilized in a CF script and I don't have too much experience with CF scripting.

Thanks for your help,
--Anne