Thanks for the tip barneyb, I replaced session with request and it still works beautifully.

I agree that it's not much of an issue with breadcrumb generation.  I'm never going to need more than one set of breadcrumbs on a requesting page so hopefully I'm pretty safe with what I have.

Thanks again,
--Anne