I'd recommend using the request scope, rather than the session scope.
A breadcrumb display is not bound to a user session in any way, it's
strictly related to the current request.

Joe's suggestion to use the custom tag framework that CF provides is
superior even to that, because it allows multiple invocations of the
tag on a single request to remain totally independant, but that's
probably not much of an issue with breadcrumb generation.

cheers,
barneyb

--
Barney Boisvert