From: Ian Buzer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 5:00 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: 100% CPU

Hi all,

We're running a CFMX 6.1 / SQL server 2000 app on a 1.6GHz AMD server with
1.5Gb of RAM.  The app gets about 2.5 million page requests a month, peaking
at about 7000 page requests per hour.

Since yesterday morning it's suddenly started to misbehave, with the
processor regularly maxing out at 100%. It will run clean an fast for 20
minutes or so, then suddenly requests will start to queue up and the
whole thing grinds to a halt. Usually it recovers, but sometimes the
service needs restarting to get it back.

The app is well behaved, with most requests taking about half a second.
There seem to be no particular long running requests that trigger it.

This happened a couple of months ago and I restricted the amount of memory
SQL server used and increased the RAM on the box to 1.5Gb. It currently
appears to have about 3-400Mb free.

I've installed the CFMX updater (released a few days ago), reinstalled
ColdFusion, scandisked the drive and defragged.

I wonder if anyone can give me any clues on what else to look for. Surely we
should be able to get more traffic out of this spec machine?

Many thanks
Ian Buzer
  _____