From: Tim Laureska [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, September 10, 2004 8:24 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: inserting structure data into a database

Just learning structures, but here goes:

When I insert structure data into a database, it's inserted into each
field as a comma delimited list.

In this scenario, I'm inserting audio cassette tape information into the
database from a form when multiple cassettes are entered at one time.
There are three attributes to for each cassette... title, issue date and
issue number, which are the fields in the database (along with an autoid
field).

So if three cassettes are entered and subsequently inserted into the
database, the data goes in as such:

Auto id    title field        issue number field     issue date
field

   1       title1, title2, title3  issue1,issue2,issue3
date1,date2,date3

This seems to present a problem in that each cassette does not have a
unique autoid to identify it individually and that may present issues
further in the application...

My questions are:  1) is this analysis correct and 2)how can you
maintain a unique id for each cassette in this situation ... do you have
to assign a unique number for each cassette using some sort of CF code
or is there a way to still utilize the DB's automatic unique id
assignment feature?

Tim

   _____

[HYPERLINK "http://www.houseoffusion.com/lists.cfm/link=t:4"Todays Threads]
[HYPERLINK "http://www.houseoffusion.com/lists.cfm/link=i:4:177843"This
Message] [HYPERLINK
"http://www.houseoffusion.com/lists.cfm/link=s:4"Subscription] [HYPERLINK
[HYPERLINK
"https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?amount=&item_name=House+of+Fusion&bus
iness=donations%40houseoffusion.com&undefined_quantity=&cmd=_xclick"Donation
s and Support]

   _____

HYPERLINK "http://www.houseoffusion.com/banners/view.cfm?bannerid=38" \n

---