Ryan Duckworth wrote:

>Any suggestions on source control products?

I'm moving to it from both CVSNT and Perforce.  It works really well,
especially when coupled with a powerful file manager like Directory Opus
(http://www.dopus.com/).

>I have looked into:
>- Visual Source Safe ($5000+)

Yuck.

>-CVS
>-CVS NT
>-Tortoise
>-WIN CVS

WinCVS and TortoiseCVS are UIs for CVS or CVSNT.  There are comparable
tools for Subversion, though the full-blown UI tools are a bit lacking,
so I use TortoiseSVN (http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/).

>What is everyone using and how good is it???

I used CVS and CVSNT for ages but didn't like the lack of some
features.  Then I tried Perforce and while it is amazingly powerful it
was a bit too expensive for me (I'm attempting to get co-workers to use
versioning for their work and have three of 'em and its $750 per seat).

>Functionality I prefer:
>-Ability to check-in / out files
>-History of changes
>-Integration w/ Homesite is a plus but not required.

There is an SCC addon for SVN called SVNProxy available for $20.
Personally I prefer to do that outside of the development tool and tie
it to my file manager, thus my use of TortoiseSVN.

>The first time I tried MS Visual SS it was very easy to integrate with.

SourceSafe is one of the worst available, little better than RCS.  It
doesn't revision meta changes (renaming files, etc), is very platform
dependent, isn't developed much,

>I have tried using CVS, but had problems getting everything setup
>smoothly.

It can be a bit tricky at times.  Subversion is a little tricky but the
documentation for TortoiseSVN explains how to set it _all_ up nicely -
worth reading.

One thing to consider about SVN is that it is starting to take over from
CVS for many open-source projects, which drives its development and that
of add-ons.  Due to this it is gaining a huge amount of support from 3rd
parties.
--
*Damien McKenna* - Web Developer - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>