On Monday, July 29, 2002, at 11:43 , Stover, John wrote:
> Specifically, I am curious to know how the administration has been
> setup, as I have seen numerous notes dedicated to the 'nightmares'
> associated with CF and source control.  Do you setup 2 network shares
> and use 1 for the "checked-out" working location?  Or does every
> developer run a local copy of the free CF Server, and then check-out and
> edit locally, which would allow the check-in to go back to the central
> dev server?  How is project management handled -- as far as delivering a
> "version" of the site/code?

We have a central CVS repository and multiple environments designated:
local-dev, development, qa, integration, production.

local-dev: each developer runs CFMX locally (on Windows) with either a
local database instance or sharing the development instance. They have a
CVS checkout area and have DWMX set up so the checkout area is the 'local
site' and their local CFMX install area is the 'remote site'.

development: we run automated nightly builds from the top of the CVS tree
to the (shared) development server (Solaris).

qa: QA have on-demand builds from the top of the CVS tree (or any
designated labeled code set underneath it) to the QA server (Solaris).
Such builds are intended to be stable, testable builds.

integration: QA also have on-demand builds from the CVS tree to the
integration server (Solaris). This is our production mirror, where we run
load tests etc.

production: Release Engineering work with our Production Support team to
co-ordinate known QA'd builds from the CVS tree to the production server.

Builds are labeled as necessary to identify them so that we know exactly
what code is on which server environment. We also keep our configuration
files / scripts etc under CVS, with separate development / qa /
integration / production sub-trees (e.g., we have a sitewideconstants.cfm
include file that describes the server environment, domain names etc).

Sean A Corfield -- http://www.corfield.org/blog/

-- Margaret Atwood