Ryan Duckworth wrote:

> Any suggestions on source control products?
>
> I have looked into:
> - Visual Source Safe ($5000+)

 From MS, I've never used it.

> -CVS
> -CVS NT
> -Tortoise
> -WIN CVS

All of these are CVS and CVS front-ends. CVS is good, though I recommend
Subversion (subversion.tigris.org). It's supposed to be the new CVS
replacement. There aren't as many tools built for it because it's fairly
new, but you can get TortoiseSVN, which is great.

> Functionality I prefer:
> -Ability to check-in / out files
> -History of changes
> -Integration w/ Homesite is a plus but not required.

I think VSS integrates with HS/CFS, and I've heard of a wrapper plug-in
that will enable it for CVS. With Tortoise, you can right-click on the
folders pane and access Tortoise's CVS/SVN controls from there on a
folder level, though through explorer, you can use it per-file.

Other than the HS/CFS integration, you can't really go wrong. Check
in/out and monitor history are what version control is all about.

> The first time I tried MS Visual SS it was very easy to integrate with.
> I have tried using CVS, but had problems getting everything setup
> smoothly.

One word. Tortoise. Install and check it out.

-nathan strutz