On Oct 19, 2004, at 6:47 PM, James Holmes wrote:

> Yes, I see CF as being targeted at the "end user" rather than
> contract-based
> developers.

I agree.  This is happening -- but i don't think it has been targeted
-- just the process of natural selection -- a case of the users
defining the market rather than (or maybe in spite of) the
manufacturers.

> CF gets installed into a lot of Gov and Edu sites and they often
> form their own teams to develop and maintain the apps (like in our
> case,
> where many of the full-time CF developers are in permanent positions
> and the
> more casual users are still able to do some of the work). The industry
> sees
> CF as a niche product (ref: Gartner Research) and I think this is
> probably
> that niche.

If CF is relegated to a niche product, then the IT & web development
professionals are doing themselves a tremendous disservice.

The fact that that CF is easy to learn for a lay person (or incidental
developer) does not detract from its power, or applicability to more
sophisticated applications.

I think that the "end user" interest in CF will benefit the
professional developer, in the long term.

Dick