I come across this stance occasionally and I am always careful to point out to
management in my company that by using ColdFusion we are using Java. I have CF
Enterprise running in J2EE configuration and I am in the process of installing it on
servers that will also host other Java-based non-CF apps.

Essentially, my stance is that CFMX is just another Java application in our
infrastructure, one that has the specific purpose of making it faster and easier for
us to develop custom applications. In this respect I distinguish it from PHP and ASP
(both of which we have running one or two small legacy things internally) because CFMX
fits in our Java infrastructure and the others do not. If I have two servers setup
with J2EE, I can install all of my apps on those servers, including CFMX, and
load-balance the individual apps as needed. If I need more capacity, I just scale
horizontally by adding additional servers, and any or all of the apps can be added to
the new server.

In terms of the industry, I go back to something I posted about several years ago on
the forums when the migration of CF to Java was first announced. Basically the
industry has boiled down to the Java world and the Microsoft world.

I haven't seen any really recent market data, but I get the sense that PHP is still a
third wheel with a broad base but relatively shallow depth of use overall. Maybe I'm
wrong there are the world has become a three-way battle- Microsoft, Java, and
open-source, I would be interested to know if anyone has seen up to date research on
that topic.