I wouldn't say you HAVE to learn AS 2 to use flex.  It's extremely helpful,
however you can use it without coding any AS 2.  If you're interested in
seperating business logic from the rest of your applications, Flex supports
invoking remote functionality not only encapsulated in compiled Flash, but also
web services and java objects.  That said, if I had my choice of languages to
extend Flex with, I agree with Rick's statement that ActionScript 2 is
essential - it's supported natively and is a very robust means of extending the
environment.  Don't think you must know it to "really do anything" with Flex,
though - it does a lot more than you might think right out of the box without
knowing AS.  The one caveat is that you'll really want to get comfortable with
one-liner AS syntax for binding components... but that's not a big deal and
requires no prior AS experience.

~Simon