no I didnt mean IE as in Internet Explorer, I said IE. as in "i.e.":
latin meaning that is..
It's finally fixed... the order by got me..
The code I had worked in dev but didnt in prod.. the order by was messed up.
Same data, same CF code, but in dev the code was outputting correctly,
in prod it wasnt.
I threw in another variable to order by and that fixed the output from
the query.
To solve the problem with the server crapping out on me I used the
<cffile append function.
<cffile action="WRITE" file="#g_EcountFileDirectory#\#eCountFilename#"
output="#ecount_file_header#" addnewline="Yes">
<cffile action="APPEND"
file="#g_EcountFileDirectory#\#eCountFilename#"
output="#ecount_batch_header#" addnewline="Yes">
<cfloop query="fetchReferrals">
        <cffile action="APPEND"
file="#g_EcountFileDirectory#\#eCountFilename#" output="#record_data#"
addnewline="Yes">
</cfloop>
<cffile action="APPEND"
file="#g_EcountFileDirectory#\#eCountFilename#"
output="#ecount_batch_footer#" addnewline="Yes">
<cffile action="APPEND"
file="#g_EcountFileDirectory#\#eCountFilename#"
output="#ecount_file_footer#" addnewline="Yes">

In doing so I had to modify my SQL to remove the line break in.

Anyways it seems to work just fine.. just took all day