What do most people prefer, Coldfusion or J2EE session variables?

>From what I've researched, it seems that going with J2EE is the best
choice, and I imagine that the main reason for sticking the old-school
CF session variables would be to preserve legacy applications that
relied on CFID and CFTOKEN cookies. With the two different types of
session management, and several identifiers created in several scopes,
things can get confusing. And this brings me to my question :)

I'm having a problem where a client will occasionally lose their
session while clicking around the site. I can see the CFID/CFTOKEN
values change in the URL (as well as the cookie, client, and session
scopes - yes, I did turn on EVERYTHING in cfapplication while testing
:)) I've put locks around the code that modifies session scope
variables. To make things more fun, this doesn't occur on all
computers - only about half the machines in our office have this
problem.

I've done a lot of housecleaning in this app, which is good, but the
site still isn't working properly, which is bad. How can I ensure that
clients can actually keep their sessions? What if I don't have the
option to use J2EE session vars? What are the best set of parameters
to use in the cfapplication tag? Should I be using addToken to the
cflocation tags I'm using (admittedly, I'm overusing them, and I think
this likely contributes to the problem.) Where can I get some guidance
on proper locking in MX 6.1?

On a somewhat related note, I'm having a problem where I make
consecutive function calls on an object located in session scope that
make changes to the database, and it appears that either the second
operation (which adds rows) is not being run, or is being run before
the first operation (which deletes rows.) In other words, I call
session.contact.clearAddresses() first, then
session.contact.addAddress(addressStruct) and the new address never
gets added. No errors, just an empty database. Sorry for the double
question, I'd be happy with help on either :)