http://www.productivityenhancement.com/plum/PlumDetail.cfm?id=diagrammingss

I just added this:

"While the Plum IDE doesn't contain a diagramming tool of its own, Plum
Diagrams are easily created using any flowcharting tool from a #2 pencil to
Visio Enterprise -- use the tool of your choice."

It should be more clear now, Sean.  Thanks for pointing out the confusion.

> I've been reading through the tutorials and I can now see that there's
> a *lot* of manual editing of specific .cfm files involved.

When we designed Plum, an important task was to keep the Plum IDE as simple
as possible.  We took the majority of what people would need to do quickly
when first building a website and built the controls for that in the Plum
IDE, then we left the remainder up to the Plum Framework, Plum's custom tag
editors, and handcrafting.  We never liked the idea of trying to do
everything in an IDE; just boost the initial development to a significantly
forward point in the project, then give the developer the tools he needs to
take it from there on his own.  Our philosophy all along.

> The website
> is very impressive and makes it sound like Plum does a bunch of stuff
> that it actually doesn't seem to do. It talks about an IDE and
> diagramming but really it doesn't do any of that.

You know, Sean, I don't like the name "Plum IDE," anymore really, because it
isn't a traditional IDE.  I wanted to call it "Plum Generator" at one time.
Do you think that's a better name for the desktop application than "Plum
IDE?"  Do you think getting rid of the term "IDE" and clarifying the fact
that Plum doesn't contain a diagramming tool would help avoid confusion?

> It generates CRUD code from a database. It has a custom tag based
> framework for master-detail CRUD form-heavy apps. It has a CMS
> (although it's not clear how that fits in with the generated CRUD
> code).
>
> The tutorials go into mind-numbing detail about some things I'd expect
> all ColdFusion programmers to know (the Application.cfm /
> OnRequestEnd.cfm stuff for example) but are generally very clear -
> clear about all the manual editing steps, for example.

Actually, we show people how Plum's implementation of the ColdFusion
Application Framework is somewhat different from what they're used to.  It's
structured in such a way that all functionality is neatly compartmentalized
between global, modular, and environmental behaviors, and it makes
deployment across development/staging/production environments as simple as
possible.

> Adam, could you provide a clearer statement of your target audience?
> I've spent a couple of hours reading through everything now and I'm
> still not really clear who you're aiming Plum at. As far as I can
> tell, it isn't aimed at anyone using an existing framework or an
> existing code generator (like Joseph Flannigan's, which just creates
> CFCs you can use with any framework). It doesn't appear to be aimed at
> folks who'd need the power of something like FarCry. It looks to be
> squarely aimed at people who build a lot of fairly straightforward
> data entry / data update apps, by trying to automate the tedium of
> creating basic CRUD code and simple form layouts. Am I getting the
> right impression now?

This may sound like marketing drool, but it was actually our positioning
statement: "Plum was designed for developers who want to rapidly prototype
and build solid ColdFusion applications in minimum time."

Sean, I'm sorry if I accused you of trying to talk Plum down yesterday.  I
was wrong.  It really appears that you are only trying to learn more about
Plum; it just sounded a bit confrontational.  If I can answer any questions
for you, or if you'd like to talk over the phone about it, please feel free
to call me or David at 770-446-8866 any time.

Thanks for your input, and I look forward to more from you.

Respectfully,

Adam Phillip Churvis
Member of Team Macromedia
http://www.ProductivityEnhancement.com

Download Plum and other cool development tools,
and get advanced intensive Master-level training:

* C# & ASP.NET for ColdFusion Developers
* ColdFusion MX Master Class
* Advanced Development with CFMX and SQL Server 2000