> I'm curious, what is performance limit for storing data in session
> variables?

Memory (RAM) is really your only practical limit when using session
variables.  Just make sure you make your session timeout a practical
interval. and (assuming you are on CFMX) make sure you set both your
max and default memory sizes to the same value in the CFADMIN.

It's conceivable that if you have too many sessions going at once, you
could use up all the available RAM and run into out of memory errors,
but based on the limmited data you are storing in session, you will
likely hit another bottleneck point (ie: CPU or DB connections) before
your sessions exceed available RAM.

> Also, is updating session variables all that much quicker than updating a
> database. For example a customer wants two pairs of a particular earring
> instead of one.

Session variables are always going to be faster than making trips to the DB.

-Cameron