John didn't say most designers aren't coders. I wouldn't have had a problem
with that. But John said, "Most don't even understand the concept of a web
server." As a designer, I called bullshit. Designers made the web
mainstream.

ColdFusion appeals to many designers because of its tag-based roots. When
doing web sites, the lines between designer and coder can quickly become
blurred and I'm glad that a language like ColdFusion exists to make those
distinctions even blurrier. Design isn't just about making pretty pictures.
Design is much more often about communication. Clearly presenting
information. And CF is an approachable tool for facilitating communication.

Along these lines, I see great potential for purchase of Macromedia by
Adobe. For the last several years, Adobe has been moving into the areas of
presentation of XML content, content management, document management,
collaborative editing, etc. leveraging J2EE. They have enterprise
server-side tools as well as the traditional desktop design tools that
everyone is familiar with.

Coder vs. Designer? It's all about communication. And "designers" are tech
savvier than people here probably think.

---
Kevin Graeme
Cooperative Extension Technology Services
University of Wisconsin-Extension