> I'm pretty suprised no one's mentioned Ant and the many, many tools
> around it for the deployment side of things. Regardless of the SCC
> system, Ant is a nobrainer for automating deployment,

> Thirty minutes of time just saved hours of hunting down problems.

> As an aside, I'll be talking about these tools at CF-United in the
> Open Source Java Tools session and they are certainly topics that can
> come up at the BOF.

Joe,

Not going to get to your talks due to geography but was wondering if you
could help with the question below I've been trying to work out.

I've been looking at Ant a little bit but am quite confused at what it
actually can do for me.  Would I be right in saying it's an automated
sort of regexp text changer (ie look at all files in a targetted
filelist and swap $env_dsn_1 with value 'test_dsn'?)

Can it also handle the automated insert of
- CF DSN's
- CF Mappings
- Alter Unix Shell Scripts with environment variables
- Alter environment variables in CF files
- Run sql scripts against a database (using the op$<user> account)
- Integrate with the SCC System to extract a specific Tag release (in
this case VSS)

All depending on the enviroment (ie dev, test, prod)

It's all prolly a case of RTFM (and I'm still looking at it quizically
now :) but so little time, so little knowledge in this field, quick
pointers would be appreciated.

If you're opinionin is just to get your feet wet that'll do me too!

--
David