From: Dawson, Michael [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, October 15, 2005 9:31 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: SOT: Thoughts on Requiring Javascript

I'm interested in what you think of requiring JS for a web site.  What
is the current mentality on JS?  I know that to use Gmail, Google Maps
and, in our case, Blackboard Learning System, you must enable JS.

I would love to get more into AJAX to make my pages easier to build and
use, but I'm afraid I may alienate some people.  I will say, that as an
educational institution, we have some people that will disable JS, but
it should be a minimal amount.

Let's say that I do require an extensive amount of JS on my site (it
will be an intranet), then how far do I go to support non-JS users?
Let's also say I create a form that lets me look up a user based on
their ID number, name or email address.  AJAX will make this task very
easy.

However, if a person disables JS, should I bother to create a non-JS
version of the page?

I'm just curious in how far you go to require JS and, if you do, do you
give an alternative other than "Sorry, this page requires javascript"?

Thanks