Hi. . . hope someone can help. . . (PLEASE BEAR WITH ME -- THIS IS ALL
HIGGLEDYPIGGLEDY) we are having a problem displaying the value of a query
variable. . it seems really confusing, and it is - but unfortunately this is
the simplest way we can think of to do this.

Our goal is to run a query to check and see what proposals (proposalid) have
been submitted, create a table  with column for each proposalid that also
contains one row for each of the seven proposal 'readers'. (this part works)

 The readers then grade the proposals using an online form. Explanation of what
we are doing is below. . . . BUT HERE IS THE PROBLEM WE ARE HAVING  -- the
'readers' are able to log in repeatedly to input their 'grades', change them
etc. . . which means we have to be able to capture the value stored in a given
field. . . ex:
<cfquery name"" datasource""> select proposalcolumn from grades where reader =
currentreader</cfquery>
The problem is that we do not know the name of the column!!  and for the life
of us we cannot figure out what variable to set, etc. . which would let us
output this value!!

Each reader reads only ~half of the proposals, as they are divided up by
region.  So, once the reader logs into the reader 'grading' section -- we
create a session variable to denote which region they are from.  On the
'grading' form page we then use the session variable to get only the columns
for the grading table that correspond to the proposals they were assigned to
read.

ON THE GRADING FORM PAGE WE DO THIS TO GET THE DATA NEEDED TO CREATE THE FORM.

<cfquery name="getproposals" datasource="sotl">
select *
from proposal06
where readinggroup = #session.group#
and status = 1
order by proposalid asc
</cfquery>

<cfset proposals = ''>

<cfoutput query="getproposals">

<cfset proposals = '#listappend(proposals,proposalid)#'>
</cfoutput>

THEN WE LOOP THE PROPOSALS LIST TO QUERY THE GRADES TABLE (PROPOSALID =
GRADES.COLUMNNAME)

<cfloop list="#proposals#" index="i">
<cfquery name="getgrades" datasource="sotl">
select #i#
from grades06
where readerid = #session.readerid#
</cfquery>

THEN WE LOOP THE GETGRADES QUERY TO POPULATE THE GRADING FORM WITH THE
APPROPRIATE PROPOSAL FORM FIELDS

  <cfloop list="#getgrades.columnlist#" index="i">

THEN WE RUN THIS QUERY TO GET THE VALUE OF THE SPECIFIC FIELD (PREVIOUSLY
SUBMITTED GRADE STORED IN THE TABLE

<!---get the grade for this proposal - based on column name from looping
columnlist --->
<cfquery name="getindiv" datasource="sotl">
select #i#
from grades06
where readerid = #session.readerid#
</cfquery>

      <!--- Should checkbox be pre-checked? --->
!!!!!AND FINALLY -- IF YOU WADED THROUGH ALL OF THIS -- HERE IS THE PROBLEM --
HOW CAN WE REFERENCE THIS FIELD -- EVEN THOUGH WE DON'T KNOW THE FIELD NAME????
-- WE HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING WE CAN THINK OF (admittedly/obviously not that
much) AND CAN'T GET IT TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!!
      <cfif #FIELD# is 1>
        <CFSET IsChecked = 'Yes'>
        <cfelse>
        <CFSET IsChecked = 'No'>
      </cfif>
      <!--- Checkbox itself --->
      <cfinput
          type="radio"
          name="#i#"
                  checked="#IsChecked#"
          value="1"></td>
      <!--- Should checkbox be pre-checked? --->
      <cfif '#column#' eq 0>
        <CFSET IsChecked = 'Yes'>
        <cfelse>
        <CFSET IsChecked = 'No'>
      </cfif>
      <!--- Checkbox itself --->
    <CFINPUT
          TYPE="radio"
          NAME="#i#"
                  checked="#IsChecked#"
          VALUE="0">      </td>
      <!--- Should checkbox be pre-checked? --->
      <cfif '#column#' eq ''>
        <CFSET IsChecked = 'Yes'>
        <cfelse>
        <CFSET IsChecked = 'No'>
      </cfif>
      <!--- Checkbox itself --->
    <CFINPUT
          TYPE="radio"
          NAME="#i#"
                  checked="#IsChecked#"
          VALUE="2"> </td>
      <!--- Should checkbox be pre-checked? --->
      <cfif '#column#' eq ''>
        <CFSET IsChecked = 'Yes'>
        <cfelse>
        <CFSET IsChecked = 'No'>
      </cfif>
      <!--- Checkbox itself --->
    <CFINPUT
          TYPE="radio"
          NAME="#i#"
        checked="#IsChecked#"
          VALUE="3"> </td></cfoutput>
  </cfloop></cfloop>

Please take pity on us if you can! If you can make sense of this. Thank you.