Hi Ali,

I set a single rate in stone.  If I am talking on the telephone to a
client, or writing them an email that is an assessment of a series of
site mods they are requesting (billed 2 hrs of that this morning) or
setting up a server or ... *whatever*.  My time is worht X and that is
what I charge for it.

Your clients must be aware of this, and I keep shorthand notes of what
I do with my time and submit them with my weekly invoices.  I have
gotten completely away from ANY sort of fixed-fee project and now do
only hourly billing with project costs being ballpark-only (and then I
try hard to come in under the ballpark I gave them).

To do this successfully you have to have the trust of your client.
They have to be confident you aren't padding the bill, and that if a
job goes over initial estimates there is a good reason for this; not
that you needed a new transmission on your car.  As you build up time
with a client and treat them more than fairly, this worry will
disappear, but it makes for some edgy first jobs.  Still, in the long
run you wind up with a best-case for yourself where you are not
working for free (underbid a job) or overcharging (it took less time
than you thought).

Thats the other side of this.  If you estimate $1000 for something and
it bills out to $50 because you had a brainstorm, then bill them $50
and take the mountain of good karma (and repeat business, and
referrals) that comes from that.  Hogs get fat.  Pigs get slaughtered.

I would not lowball people to get them in the door, and then jack up
the rate.  Thats perceived negatively no matter what you do, I think.
Instead, price yourself competitively perhaps only a little below
market, and stick to it throughout the relationship, perhaps with
small annual increases.  If you want a rate increase start the *next*
customers out at the increased rate, which is now better justified by
your extant stable of happy customers and body of work.

> Bryan said
> but they also don't want you so busy you can't do their work.

Amen to that.  what you wind up doing is slicing time for everyone and
pleasing no one.  Still, you have constant income and what you can
then start doing is subcontracting.  For example I farm out all design
to a talented firm, and all basic CMS/HTML work (lots of customers
with CMS systems with no time to manage them.  Go figure.)  to someone
else.  The next step, which I haven't done yet, is to bring in a CF
coder.  the trouble with expanding your staff is your clients want
*you* to do the work if the relationship is right, and you're stepping
away from them.  Another challenge.

> Experience has taught me that I don't want the clients that aren't
> willing to pay my rate.  My rate is fair given my experience.  If you take on
> those folks that start your business relationship by complainig about your
> rate....guess how much more complaining and nickel and diming strats to happen

oh man is that ever true.  I've got a guy right now that I *know* I
should stay away from but I'm pot-committed in terms of the time I
have spent on him already.  Again you have to be firm, and ready to
walk away if you must.

Just some thoughts,

--
--mattRobertson--