> Buying something once, a long time ago, and using it for many years, is
not
> what most companies consider "long-time customer loyalty". As far as
they're
> concerned, you might as well have disappeared into a black hole in 1999.

I don't define customer loyalty as the customer buying something every time
have something to sell.  I define it as a customer who buys something from
me
instead of my competition when *they* need something.  That's loyalty...

>From your view, good business is the customer doing what's best for the
company.
>From my view, good business is the company doing what's best for the
customer.

With that practice I win loyal cutomers, who I value, no matter how long
between
purchases it is.

And, concerning amortization, the value of anything has nothing really to do
with
whether or not I've earned enough with a product to pay for it.  The current
value
of a product is strictly defined by the customer using it.

CF 4.5 still has plenty of value to me.  It's paid for itself many times
over...but that
doesn't mean that Adobe now *deserves* more money from me.

Cutting off the upgrade price at 4.5 just seems arbitrary.  I'm sure they
have reasons
for the cut-off being there...notice I didn't say good ones.  But they have
to decide
how to run their business, as do I.  And, if so few people are using 4.5,
what would
it hurt to extend the upgrade price to that version or even earlier
versions?

Rick